Wednesday 30 March 2011

Sutton Hoo Anglo-Saxon Pottery Workshop

The Anglo-Saxon pottery workshop which I ran at Sutton Hoo on Sunday 27th March 2011 produced some great results.  A small but dedicated group of participants produced some great replica pots using natural clays and replica tools.  One lady brought along clay from West Stow to which, after looking at sherds of original pottery from that site, she added animal dung to provide a similar carbon content.  All based on pots from the Pagan period the pots were entirely hand built and decorated using bone and antler stamps which the students also had the opportunity to make.  The on-site cafe provided us with a delicious light lunch and some excellent cake and coffee.  I'm planning to run another experimental archaeology experimental workshop at Sutton Hoo in the Autumn, probably late September and possibly including a firing, if you'd be interested in attending contact me via my website.  You can also follow me on Twitter @pottedhistory.






Visit my website at www.pottedhistory.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment